Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Zdziarski, Zdz......surnames endlessly spelled.

I thought my first post of this blog would be the many different surnames, I have found either in documents of my grandmother, the few relations I've come across, Ellis Island port of entry, name  changes, mispellings, census errors, even marriage licenses, or death certificates of error.  Let me first state that my grandmother's name was: Marianna Zdziarski.  As far as I know(lol, who really knows back then what was what, or if they cared how their names were spelled in the America's.  But for those of you who may be long lost distant cousins, this list of surnames can and will shed light on exactly what it is you are seeking...Always remember that when these immigrants came to America(helpful tip: if you can't find your relative at Ellis--there's many many other ports of entry into this country that they could had used.  Keep searching!!  I will in future posts give links of what had helped me with my searches--And also people I want to thank for there input, help, translations, etc....  This list is very long, and as far as I have searched, each surnames roots back in some way to the Zdziarski surname.

1.  Zdziarski
2.  Zdzarski
3.  Zdarski
4.  Zdzarstek
5.  Zdziarstek
6.  Zdziarstki
7.  Zdarstk*
8.  Zdiarstk
9.  Zdzarsk
10. Zdzarsky
11. Zdziarsky
12. Zdziary
13. Zdziarka
14. Zdziarsteck
15. Zdiarstek
16. Zdziarska
17. Zdzearski
18. Dziarstak
19. Dziarstek
20. Zdarska
21. Zdiarska
22. Zdarske
23. Dziarstak
24. Zdriarska
25. Zdiarsk
26. Zdaiarski
27. Zardstek
28. Zank(ONLY the CT family.  Only those related to Victor--I must stress.  Legally changed their name from Zdziarski to Zank in 1951)*

*Victor Zdarstk(as found on the SSDI death index), is the father of 4 children born Zdziarski but later changed to Zank.  Victor never learned the English Language that well, as many Polish immigrants as that may perhaps explain the misspelling of his surname.  Victor was my grandmother's Uncle.

I have found 3 spellings of her maiden name on different documents throughout these years!  

All of these polish immigrants just wanted into America--to build a new life, "live the American Dream, be free in a democratic state, they also couldn't speak or write English, so if I were them, I honestly would NOT care how my name was spelled as long as I got in!!  Not to mention:  the people at the Ports of Entry not understanding anything these immigriants were trying to say--because they didn't speak/write the language--we as researchers are lucky that we're able to locate anything at all about our grandfathers, grandmothers, aunts, uncles, etc...

It is easier--by far to research the ancestors that come to America than finding any info on those that were left behind in poland!  I have NOT yet(after over a decade) to find a reliable source to learn about my grandmother's polski parents(and sisters) that remained in poland. 

1 comment:

  1. The 3 spellings of my grandmother's name was: Zdziarski, Zdziarstek, and Zdzarski,just an FYI.

    ReplyDelete